4 of us from London Modern Quilt Guild are playing, this is my first designer challenge, so under ( nice ) pressure!
first of all the fabrics........
they arrived in a wee bundle from Beth and last night I spent the time staring at them waiting for the muse to come to me.
I cut a 16" panel for front of the bag.This fabric seemed ideal as a background .
this fabric said 'River Thames' to me
I cut 16 x 6 1/2" piece and joined 16 x 10 1/2 "piece of back ground fabric, then trimmed to make the back 16" panel.
Then a memory of my birthday this year where I sat having a wonderful lunch at the Blueprint cafe over the London Design Museum- looking out over the Thames ; so this was the inspiration for the buildings on the far side of the River........wanted a degree of 3D effect, so used a darker fabric appliqued on, then hand embroidered the outlines with orange and royal blue perle cotton
Here's my Shard, Gherkin, City Hall etc.Had to have the Shard as its our newest most thrusting skyscraper, opening for its first visitors soon. If you stand on London Bridge station and look up, it makes you feel very woozy........its soooo high
Here's my little gherkin ( excuse the expression )
Backed the whole background fabric square with firm iron on interfacing to finish the front panel
Judith from London Modern Quilt Guild had suggested London skyline when we were thinking what to do, and once I saw the fabrics close up- this certainly seemed a good theme
For the other panel I wanted to do what I had originally thought of, which was to do a more block-y design but used to show off the fabrics..........searched and found inspiration online...then decided that although I was not particularly drawn to the bicycle fabric, I could fussy cut a cute scooter and machine applique it for a central feature
Running a bit low on fabric by this time, so used an assortment of scraps to make the handles
by this time I was a bit tired, but I am someone who HAS to keep going with a project until its done, I can't have unfinished things hanging around. However I then wasted a good half meter of heatbond when I meant to use iron on interfacing.....thought it seemed a bit crunchy when sewing the panel, sigh.....time for bed!
Made a green kona cotton solid lining, and here is the finished project front and back, it is 15" square
I'm looking forward to using it around London,quite one of the most beautiful cities in the world...........